Saturday, May 4, 2013

May 4, 2013

Luck or I’m coming into my own as a potter…

What a wonderful day in the studio. The sun was out, not a cloud in the ski, the temperature was a perfect 78, the wonderful scent of Jasmine lingering in the air and my studio buddies at my feet. As I was trimming and putting the final touches on the pieces I threw this week when Mommy duties interrupted me as it was my turn for swim team carpool.

I have taken pottery lessons over the years, my favorites being at Dunedin Fine Art Center in Dunedin Florida and Sunin Clay Studio here in San Antonio, but I have learned sooo much as an avid viewer of pottery on U-Tube. I love to watch Hsinchuen Lin. He makes everything seem so effortless and is quite the inspiration to the phrase “Hey, maybe I could do that.” I love the pieces he does with chattering. I have tried over and over and over to accomplish that technique to no avail. Then a few weeks ago I was watching a few earlier videos of Muditis, and had a renewed inspiration to once again chatter. Still no luck… until today!

 
The last 3 berry bowls I was working on were just a little past the leather hard stage… Ok maybe a little further than that but you get the idea... worrying of being heavy handed, as I usually am and breaking one, I was a little lighter in my touch and voila…chattering!!! I was so excited I ended up chattering all 3 bowls. Not wanting my exuberance to overtake me, one berry bowl is now just a bowl. I just didn’t want to push my luck putting the drain holes in it.

Again.... still not sure if this is just luck or I'm coming into my own as a potter... time will tell... that is if I can reproduce the effect on another day!

On another note... have no idea why this is coming out with 2 different fonts, while I can carpool like no one's business and pot a bit, I am totally lost on this computer.  Where are the kids when you need them??