Thursday, November 14, 2013

Everything Coming Together


Click, click, click...

After the death last year of my best friend of 24 years I did some serious soul searching.  After flopping around for 5 months and with the love and support of my husband and family I got serious and jumped in feet first and started my pottery business in January of this year. 
 
With the help of my cousin Pam - positive affirmations http://chalkandslate.etsy.com and my cousin Jay... groovy geek, he directed me with the ins and outs of the techno world and a little marketing 101...





I am proud to say that I have created a website www.mudfirepottery.com, a blog, a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/mudfirepottery, an Etsy store, that's actually sold a few things http://mudfirepottery.etsy.com, a Goggle + account and have been successful in showing my work at an upscale resort and spa farmers' and artisan market.  Click!

I never would have thought I would be where I am after such a short time.  The biggest obstacle was my insecurities... would anyone like my stuff.  Again, with the support of my family and the prayers of my Woman's Bible Study group I am slowly overcoming those insecurities... to the point of accepting a request to give a pottery lesson to my daughters Art teachers!  Click!

This past year... in between studying marketing 101, photography 101, researching and building a light box/light tent, juggling family duties, carpool duties, caring for my oldest daughter's dog while she was deployed for 9 months (she is in the Navy), babying my Bird of Paradise so I have more than one bloom this summer and a million other chores and tasks... I found time to escape into my studio and concentrate on my throwing technique.  One of my highlights was throwing the perfect 5 lb bowl, you know the one without the beginner hump in the bottom I just could get over.  After that, things just seemed to fall into place... Click! 
 

Well almost... using a new glaze for a first time on your perfect 5 lb bowl, not a good thing.  Lesson learned - test - test - test.  Yes there have been a lot of lessons learned and that's a good thing.  There is no growth without mistakes.

Click, click, click...

Until next time, Peace and light