Wednesday, February 19, 2014

It's the little things...



For a while now, I have been having trouble when trimming most of my pieces.  They all seemed kind of wonky or completely off centered and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was doing wrong. 
 
When throwing there are certain steps one goes through.  First to center... then to open up... make your first pull... compress rim... second pull and so on.  I throw almost everyday for hours at a time.  I know the steps.  It is a repetitive process that you go through until you no longer think about the steps and it becomes second nature... but I was still having trouble... but only saw it when I went to trim my piece.  It's not noticeable when you look at finished pieces, it was mainly items that were two pieces that needed to fit within each other that I seemed to have the most trouble with.

My potter friend is opening a great new place for potters in San Antonio called Alamo City Pottery Workshop. She has been posting her progress on Facebook as they finish construction, add equipment and such.  The other day they were installing new throwing wheels and mentioned to double check your wheel to make sure it is level otherwise you will throw off centered.  

Now I'm reading this in the morning... still in my pj's and bunny slippers having my cup of tea. I run to my studio and pull out my Hubby's level and check my wheel head... and guess what??? DUH!!!  My wheel head was unlevel, very unlevel.  Needless to say I felt so foolish.  Well today I broke out the saw and a few scrap pieces of wood and fixed it.  I am now completely level... front to back and side to side. 
 
To check myself I threw a series of garlic/shallot keepers with lids... what a difference.  I could feel it immediately. Many thanks to April!!
Once again... it's the little things that can have the biggest impact. 
 
Until next time... Peace and light.